Skip to Content

Why is My RV Shocking Me?

Why is My RV Shocking Me?

Many people complain that their RV is shocking when they touch the metal parts of their vehicles.

Why is My RV Shocking Me? The electric shocks in RV occur due to reverse polarity, use of 30amp power cord, parking of RV near high voltage power lines. In addition, the rainy season, humidity, improper grounding, hot skin issues, damaged or broken extension cords, and switches can also lead to such issues.

You should always maintain the electric wires in your vehicle to prevent these problems. In addition, it is better to check your RV every few months to keep it safe.

Why is My RV Shocking Me?

I have added 18 reasons that causing shocks in RV along with the solutions to fix them. These electric shocks are hazardous; you have to find the reason and solutions to overcome these issues for Prevention.

Short circuit

The short circuit in RV occurs due to the flow of high resistance current in low resistance current bearing wires.

The overloading of the current can cause fire, and it is also harmful to the vehicle.

When the interconnected wiring becomes loose, it can cause a short circuit.

This short circuit causes electric shocks when you touch the wire, and it can also cause burning.

Due to short circuit explosion can also occur, which wholly damaged the structure of the vehicle.

Unplug all the electronic appliances when they are not in use to prevent electric problems.

It is always better to check the wiring that they are not broken or damaged insulation layer.

Repair the wires if they are damaged and Change them if they are completely burnt.

Do not touch the wires if they produce burning smells in them.

Install the circuit breakers in the RV to sense the abnormal current flow.

Damaged RV extension cord

When you touch the damaged extension cord, it will shock you.

When you can use it with less care, it can overheat and cause fires. When you touch this overheated extension cord, it can cause burns.

The damage in the insulation coating is due to overheating of the wires, which also melt this cord.

The use of an extension cord causes current to flow in the RV. Therefore, it is better to use power cords.

Repair the damaged extension cord with the help of a technician.

If they are damaged completely, then discard them and replace them with new ones.

Electrical short circuit de to faulty wiring

When you place the wrong wiring in the circuit outlet, it can produce a burning smell and fire.

If you place the faulty wired switch in the outlet, it can cause an electric shock to you.

The faulty wiring cause dimming and flickering situation it can also damage your whole vehicle.

Turn off the main power supply and call the technician to check the wires.

Properly reconnect the wires. Always use insulation or electrical tape on the cables to keep them separate.

Wires are not grounded

The grounded wires are the primary protective tool against such issues. In addition, these ground wires provide an alternate pathway to the flow of current during dangerous conditions.

It changes the path of the current, and in turn, this will not shock you.

The ground wire placed under the earth has a negative charge, and a positively charged current naturally attracts it.

So this will prevent the passing of current through over body.

If the ground wire is damaged, then replace it with the help of a technician.

Increased Humidity in RV

When RV becomes more humid due to staying near coastal areas or oceans, it will increase electric shocks.

Due to humidity, a high electric current is generated in the wire and causes electric shocks.

If the humidity level is between 10 to 30%, it is not harmful and cannot cause any malfunctioning of the electric system.

The circuit breaker will not trip due to humidity, and it can cause severe electric shocks.

It can also cause corrosion in the circuit panel, leading to short circuits and the burning of wires.

Place some moisture absorbents near the wiring to reduce the humidity and absorbance of the extra moisture.

Turn on the fans and ceiling vents to reduce humidity which subsequently normalizes the flow of electric current.

Hot skin issue

This issue will occur when the grounded wire is interrupted due to a disconnected pathway, and they are not grounded properly.

The ground wire’s interruption comes from a broken adapter, damaged extension cord, and plugging of the ground wire in the incorrectly wired outlet.

This wrong plugging of wire will cause the flow of current in every part of the RV, including chassis, tow vehicle, and wheels.

Always check the plug of the ground wiring so that it is not damaged and conduct the electric current’s backflow.

It is better to check that you have plugged the ground wire into the correct outlet.

High voltage power lines

When you park the RV near a high voltage power line, it will become electrified and you can feel the tingling situation whenever you touch any metal object in your vehicle.

The vehicle becomes electrified due to the presence of metal doorknobs and windows.

It is better to keep yourself almost 5 to 8 feet away from the high voltage power lines.

Always check the current flow in the RV by using a tester. Make sure that the ground wire is attached correctly.

Use of 30Amp power

Using a 30 amp power plug can cause problems in the electrical system.

The ground wires mix with the neutral wires and cause problems. For example, it occurs in a 30amp power plug because of the mixing of wires. It can also occur due to incorrect plugging of ground wires in the outlet.

You should check the polarity of the current with the tester. Always wrap the insulation tape on the ground wire. It is better to plug a cord into a suitable receptacle.

If the plug is damaged, then repair them or change them. You can also use a 30amp power plug; it can reduce the risks of electric shocks.

Before starting, you should check that the receptacle, power cord, extension cord, and plug are OK.

The surge of power supply

This power surge occurs when electric current travels abnormally in the wires. It can increase for some time then gradually becomes normal.

Due to this, the electric wires become damaged, and it also causes overheating of internal wires.

These damaged parts of wires produce an electric current in the RV. 

Reversed polarity

Reverse polarity is the mixing of wires of the RV, and it can cause current to flow in the whole outlet and damage the wires.

Fix the white wire on the hot side and attach the black wires on the neutral side to fix this issue.

In this, the technician mistakenly connects the neutral wires at the outlet of hot wires. Reverse polarity means that you think that your vehicle is not related to electricity, and you can touch them.

The flow of current is reversed in this situation. Call an expert and professional technician to fix this issue.

You can fix this issue by removing the whole circuit of the trailer.

Damaged fuse

The fuse is pre-installed to break the circuit during the high flow of current. It also warns you when there is faulty wiring in your vehicle.

A fuse contains a thin metal wire the damaged in this cannot sense the high flow of current and faulty wiring.

Repair the fuse metal wire if this wire is damaged due to overheating and overflow of resistant current.

Technical problem

Due to technical issues in the wiring, it will also shock youThese technical issues come in the 12 volt RV system, the fuse, and the wiring.

It is better that you should not check them because electricity is hazardous.

Switch off the power supply when checking its electrical system. Turn on the breakers so they can prevent you from any emergency.

Broken electrical switch or melted

If the main switch is broken or melted, but the resistant current is flowing from them.

Repair the broken switch and then use them in your vehicle. If the switch is melted due to extra heating, replace it with the new one for your Prevention.

Wet shoes or barefoot

When you are touching its surface while standing on the wet grass barefooted, it will shock you.

When you have wet hands and standing barefooted on damp grass, you feel current in the vehicle because water conducts the electricity.

Always wear rubber shoes; they act as insulators, and the current will not pass from your feet.

Do not touch its surface when you are standing on the wet grass and have wet hands.

Broken switchboard

When you attach the plug to the damaged switchboard, the electric current will pass through your body.

Repair the old switchboard and install a new one to replace the broken one. 

Loose connection between the socket and plug

If the socket and plug are loosely connected, the current flows between them, and you can feel the electric shock.

Always buy the plug according to the size of the socket and fix them properly. Then, fix the loose connection with the help of an expert or technician.

During rainy season

The rain itself causes damage to the internal wiring and fuse.

The presence of water increases the rate of transfer of current in the RV.

Due to rain, the water also comes in contact with its wiring and switches and can damage the system.

Stay away from wires during rain and do not touch any metal poles.

Outdated and old RV switches

When plugs or witches become old, their internal wiring gets damaged, and it can cause electric shock.

Repair all the old power cords and plugs or replace them with new ones to prevent electric current entering the body.

Related Articles:

Can I use an electric blanket in my RV?

How often to unclog the RV kitchen sink?

A digital thermostat in the RV

Why is there smoke coming from my RV batteries?